Mixed Media Artist

I work primarily in acrylics and collage.I use collage and beewax in my assemblage works and am now completing several shrines using found objects. I have been experimenting with encaustic collage and have found the medium very challenging. The paint is a combination of melted beeswax and pigment. A small amount of damar resin is added for hardness. I mix these paints myself and while painting all custom colors are mixed directly on a hot palette.
I will share my progress with this exciting medium with photos of work in progress and finished pieces.

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Tranquility




These Asian inspired boxes are really fun to make and are the first assemblages I started making in the
 early years. Although  "Tranquility" is a fairly recent one. I used vintage milk paint on this box, I had painted usually paint them with acrylics or spray enamel. The boxes come from a variety of places. This one is just a simple, shallow cigar box. I am always on the lookout for an unusual wooden box to alter. One of my favorite finds was a 1950's children's wooden tool box from ebay. It had so many neat holes, pullouts and drawers, I really had fun with that one and will be posting it in the future. One of the things I enjoy about doing these is the process of making them look ancient.  I was thrilled with the crackle medium I used on the top, it made so many fine little cracks. I then rubbed brown shoe polish into the cracks. The resulting patina was amazing and looked very old.




I have painted all of the inside of the box with 4 or 5 layers milk paint. The milk paint is mixed very thick ( like buttermilk) and sanded well between each coat. Then the collage papers are added. More paint and more collage, drawing and distressing. The final objects are added and colored beeswax is dripped in selected spots.


An old coin I aged placed on a hand made clay disc.




This detail shows a paper wrapped candle on the interior.



























No comments:

Post a Comment